Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Towards a global specification for data integration Phase 2.
This is the home page for the 2nd phase of the virtual consultation: Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Towards a global specification for data integration . GBIF, under the umbrella of the alliance for biodiversity knowledge, is leading the consultation as part of the European Commission-funded SYNTHESYS+ project. See here for Phase 1.
Please bookmark this page to follow the consultation.
About the consultation
The consultation process and how we got to this point - understand the origins
and how the consultation will be run
- The coordination team
- Tutorial for using GBIF Community Forum
- alliance for biodiversity knowledge
- Feedback wanted: Open discussion of the process - add your thoughts here
- Natural History Collection questions? Curious about collections, ask a question here
- Code of Conduct Report issues here
Information resources (More on individual category pages)
- Background and planning document, phase 2
- Background and planning document, overall/phase 1
- Letter of Intent for Collaboration - in a Global and Open Process - on Interoperable Enriched Specimen Information Models – Signatories
- TDWG 2020. BOF01 Birds of a Feather session on Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Towards a global specification. 22 September 2020. Recording of the session: TDWG 2020: Converging Digital & Extended Specimens towards global specification - Working Sessions - YouTube. Notes document: BOF01: Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Google Docs.
Especially the two presentations by Alex Hardisty and Andrew Bentley respectively on digital specimens and extended specimens, minutes 4 - 44 in the video.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2020. Biological Collections: Ensuring Critical Research and Education for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press..
- BCoN Report: Extending U.S. Biodiversity Collections to Promote Research and Education – Biodiversity Collections Network
- What is a Digital Specimen?. A short blog post in DiSSCo Tech.
- Data integration enables global biodiversity synthesis New publication, #CiteTheDOI
- GBIF and the Converging the Digital and Extended Specimens Concepts (15 min video)