Webinar 2: Fossils and cultural objects (Pip Brewer)

The following question(s) were asked in the Collection Management Systems Webinar and will be answered here.

Pip Brewer: It is interesting to see that fossils and cultural objects are being looked at in the data model. How far will you be going - will you be looking at mineralogical and petrological specimen data?

Response:
I can’t represent GBIF on this, but it seems to me that the scope of a biodiversity information facility should be biodiversity. Our use cases do not include mineralogy or petrology, and I can’t imagine them taking priority over those already on the table and unfinished. However, I am confident that the Unified Model is broad and flexible enough to act as a solid foundation for those disciplines as well.

A lot of people might say that fossils are biodiversity? I think they are - we can learn from the past!

As for cultural objects - there can be a quite a bit of biological information in a cultural object. Whether it is direct (a mink pelt) or indirect (painting of an otter). For some times/places, the only evidence of biological information may come from whatever was “recorded” in cultural objects.