First stop for new data users

Data use Wiki

This post is a test of the wiki format

This post serves as a first stop for new data users. Feel free to add/edit to your liking and needs.

Downloading

How to download data from GBIF.org?

Via GBIF.org

• Search
  • Filter
  • Download

Via rgbif

Use

I’ve downloaded data from GBIF.org, now what?

Hello,
This is my first post to discourse.gbif.org. A couple of things…

1. The API Summary page has a link to the pipermail list. I’m sorry to report, but there is no way I’m subscribing to a mailing list. Most of it is irrelevant. So… the API Summary also needs a link to this Discourse system.
  2. I’m a beginner at this system so I need help with what may seem obvious to professional bioinformatics people.
  3. having a different login to Discourse and GBIF is a bit painful. Confuses my password management system. Can you use OAUTH stuff on Discourse too please?

I imagine we beginners would like help with how to navigate your data-model for some basic use-cases. So perhaps a topic that helped with these?

My particular example:
I want to train a convolutional network to recognize species of a particular order from a particular country. For this i need well-identified photos of species of that order as a training dataset.

I imagine that i need to traverse the dataset something like this:
Order -> Species -> filter by geography-> select matching from (occurrences with photos) from well-regarded data-sets.

I’ve done some exercises using Jupyter/Python from the Species section of the API, I want to know how to combine that with the Occurrences section to get to download appropriately tagged images.

I’m not finding worked-examples using Google.

I reckon what I am after could be provided with some support from community and GBIF.

Can all y’all help get this going?

Thanks,
–Peter G

Hi Peter, thanks for the feedback. I will send you an email about this issue later today via our helpdesk.

1 Like