Use Case: Biotic Interactions - Sottunga Island Melitaea cinxia Population Study

Unfortunately, I’ll be unable to make it to your scheduled webinar today (i.e., GBIF community webinar: Diversifying the GBIF data model ).

I did already spent significant amount of time commenting on the document re: Use Case: Biotic Interactions - Sottunga Island Melitaea cinxia Population Study.

Unfortunately, the comments are not visible publicly. So, this is why I’ll share them separately here:

Jorrit Poelen
7:33 PM Jan 12
Thanks for inviting me to comment. Some highlevel comments :

1. Real Life examples - many biotic interactions are already described using various dwc-a models. However, no real life example was listed. Suggest to include real life examples to give a idea of the range of methods to describe biotic interactions that exist today.

2. Consider technical / social adoption risks - I can see how your proposal make sense for you. However, I imagine that the model might be a bit intimidating for others. How are you evaluating the risks like: adoption, easy of implementation, easy of maintenance, ability to map existing data into the proposed model, performance considerations etc.

3. Prior Art - many project exist today that have implemented a way to model biotic interaction. However, none of them are mentioned as far as I can tell, only DwC resources are mentioned. I’d suggest to include prior art non-DwC project/tools that are currently providing access to biotic interactions data (e.g. Mangal, Web of Life, iNaturalist, EMu, Specify, Symbiota, Species Connect, IWDB, GloBI)

Hope this helps and curious to hear your thoughts.

-jorrit

Curious to hear thoughts of others.

2 Likes