科学文章, исследовательская статья, مقاله بحثيه, अनुसंधान अनुच्छेद, 科学論文, 과학 논문

Hi everyone,

As you may know we try to find and log all papers that make use of GBIF-mediated data. This process involves a lot of email alerts from publishers and aggregators of scholarly literature (e.g Google Scholar)—but most of these papers are in English. And while English is a de facto language of science in many countries, a lot of important science is also published in other languages that isn’t necessarily indexed by services like Google Scholar.

So I’m looking for anyone with knowledge of databases/services that can help us discover scientific literature using GBIF-mediated data—in languages other than English, e.g. Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Hindi, Urdu, Japanese, Farsi, Korean, etc.

Can you help? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!
What kind of help do you need? I will probably be of some help with Russian and Ukrainian languages.

Hi @IrynaYa!

I’m looking for advise on open databases that ideally allow full-text searching of scholarly publications and some sort of automated export—whether it is an RSS feed or email alerts. Basically, I’m looking for Google Scholar but for all the papers that GS doesn’t find :slight_smile:

Does that make sense?

For Russian, eLibrary seems promising, however, I have yet to receive any email alerts on new papers, but I’m still hopeful.

Thanks,
Daniel

To @dnoesgaard I have a different question. What could we be doing when we publish papers that would help Google index them in different languages? For example, would putting the title and other metadata in other languages help? How do the papers “not in English” at google scholar get indexed?

As with most things Google, how indexing works exactly isn’t very clear. Most Chinese papers have titles and abstract in English as well, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. It could be that Google isn’t allow to crawl databases like CNKI.

1 Like

Hi

In Japan, there are J-stage which is publication repository covering wide range field such as basic scienfce to humanities.
This system served mainly Japanese article but can search their meta-data by Engslish.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/-char/en

To clarify a bit, what I’m looking for—ideally—is a service that either sends me an email every a new paper that contains certain keywords (e.g. “GBIF”) is published—or provides an RSS or similar feed of same content.

I don’t have anything to add other than to lift up the importance of trying to find ways to address this. I wish there was a magic solution as this has been a challenge since we first started tracking publications.

As for the whole Google thing, it is my understanding that their algorithms do wonky things when they encounter non English letters.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.