Species-specific icons on distribution map

When I want to look at the distribution overlap for two (or possibly more) species using the map option on the website, the map shows the same icon for any listed species. It would be really helpful to be able to have species-specific icons for at least a couple distinct species, if not three or four.

If there is some kind of open-source application that would provide the kind of output I am looking for using a download from the website, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @davek,

I don’t know of any specific easy solutions for doing something like this. It is actually more difficult than it appears at first because some species can have millions on points.

It might be possible to code something up do this with a few species using the map API. GBIF maps API

I personally would plot it in R.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look at the API. As of now I don’t have experience with R, although I have been meaning to have a look. In past lives I did a lot of coding and graph creation, so maybe an old dog will be able to learn one more trick.

Can you suggest any books for someone wanting to learn R and its capabilities?
Thanks again.

1 Like

@davek there are many online resources about how to get started with R. For example, you could check out this “R for beginner” document: https://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Paradis-rdebuts_en.pdf (although it is quite old, I think it can still be helpful).
There are also specific tutorials on how to make maps with R, here are some I could find:

I would also suggest to keep an eye on the events organized by our Data Use Club: Data Use Club

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info. I’ll check it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.