1.3. First step towards databasing collections (USE)

One of my biggest frustrations with GBIF is that most of the information regarding a collection is out of date. There is no easy mechanism for updating information.

It is also frustrating when a collection makes multiple datasets or datasets from multiple collections, I understand the importance for allowing people to create focused datasets but I wish there was a way to have a listing for a collection that included all the data from the datasets produced by that collection or institute. The end result would be a scalable system that allows users to query for special data sets within a collection or all of the records for a collection.

I wish GBIF required all collections within an institute to be listed on an institute page. Why should the end user suffer just because collections within an institution cannot coordinate?

GrSciColl is a nightmare, there are collections listed as institutions and institutions listed as collections.

I see all of these being relevant to the world collections catalogue, solve these problems and you make the larger catalogue easier to get buy-in and easier to manage and build.

1 Like