The same Occurrence in different Materials of Citations (Books)

Hi.

We will planned to digitalize occurrences from books. We were worked with department and we were included occurrences about rare species in oboth books (First book was about total list of flora of kurgans, second book was about rare species of region at different territories). So, some occurrences in both books include duplicate (not all, no). Bigger part of information include other occurrences. But we dont want to lose part of occurrences from second book (in this case it will look like incomplete part of book). We will want to made citations to second dataset from first published dataset and also save references from second book.

How I should do made refences on second dataset? Which one of solution is better? Reference to first dataset (or made it for duplicates from first dataset?)
Which one term of DwC is better to will use for reference of first dataset (or duplicates)?
Which one occurrence ID will be for duplicates?
Did You know examples of similar dataset`s?

I would be grateful for the answer

Hi @skobel2015

There is no ideal solution.

If possible I would advise to use the same identifiers for corresponding occurrences between the two datasets. For example, if two occurrence corresponds to the same observations and are published in two different datasets, you can use the same occurrenceID. This should allow our clustering algorithm to put those occurrences together (see this example: Occurrence Detail 2871636339). Note that this would only work of the two occurrences are published in different datasets as our clustering function doesn’t work within datasets.

In addition to that, you could also use the associatedOccurrences and/or resource relationship extension

See more information about how our clustering algorithm works here: Identifying potentially related records - How does the GBIF data-clustering feature work? - GBIF Data Blog

Alternatively, you could also combine the occurrences into one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.