RECORDED AS INTRODUCED via API?

Is there a way to find out via the API or R package if a species has been “RECORDED AS INTRODUCED” in a certain region? For example Aedes aegypti is in Global Register of Introduced and Invasive Species - United States.

Hello,

Not sure if this will work but if you know the datasetKey of GRIIS dataset (for contiguous US, it’s 32ad19ed-6b89-447a-9242-795c0897f345), you can check the existence of a species on the list like so:

https://api.gbif.org/v1/species/search?q=Aedes%20aegypti&dataset_key=32ad19ed-6b89-447a-9242-795c0897f345

Hi @dnoesgaard,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is helpful but the element " RECORDED AS INTRODUCED IN 43 COUNTRIES OR ISLANDS" that I see in the webpage is not exposed via API? I need a yes/no type query to see whether X is a invasive species or not. I guess querying based on the dataset could be a workaround.

It is, indirectly, I suppose. But I’m not entirely sure how the website achieves this. Perhaps @mhoefft could enlighten us?

There is, but it is quite awkward I’m afraid. And somewhat fragile as it relies on conventions in how the publisher formats data. I wrote it down because I can never remember the process

2 Likes

thanks. I think I can work with that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.