OBIS-GBIF joint strategy and action plan

This is a placeholder for all questions arising from the webinar

Webinar #1 for Asia, Africa and Europe: OBIS-GBIF Joint Strategy and Action Plan

Watch the recording Webinar #1: OBIS-GBIF Joint Strategy & Action Plan on Vimeo

Webinar #2 for the Americas: OBIS-GBIF Joint Strategy and Action Plan

Watch the recording Webinar #2: OBIS-GBIF Joint Strategy & Action Plan on Vimeo

3 Likes

Is the enlargement of both networks a goal of the joint strategy?
(some thoughts)
I think the joint strategy is an excellent opportunity to get more GBIF participants, especially in Asia and Oceania.
Maybe as well for OBIS to enlarge its network in countries that actively participate to GBIF but not yet to OBIS.

Thanks André for clarification. Indeed, one of the key activities under community and capacity in the new strategy is increased engagement at the regional level between OBIS and GBIF nodes, the form with which this takes is to be defined as the implementation committee starts with its work but does provide both organizations for stronger messaging at regional levels to increase national participation at a regional and national level. There is also an opportunity for this collaboration to support the work of regional support centres and strengthen our positions at regional levels.

(on behalf of Anonymous Attendee webinar#1) very interesting maps, are the new data in GBIF historical data (from OBIS database?) or observations collected the last decade? Is there a good learning experience that can be shared that can boost data providers to share more data? do you know which marine life groups have the highest data coverage?

(on behalf of Ward Appletans) For OBIS, In 2020 the median year of new data was 2000 (so 20 years old). I think this now has become more recent probably 10 years as median. not need to check

(on behalf of Federico Mendez) OBIS data shared in GBIF comes from different datasets shared by OBIS members, those datasets can be consulted here Ocean Biodiversity Information System (OBIS) the metrics tab shows some general statistics about the GBIF network, marine life groups can be seen at the dataset level of each dataset shared

(on behalf of Clémence Cotten) Should I choose regional or thematic node? I am asking for publishing data. For example, if I have deep ocean datasets in Europe, Should I choose the deep node or the europe node?

(on behalf of Ward Appletans) You can choose depending on where you are and what collaboration you already have. This can be through EurOBIS based at VLIZ, Deep-sea node based at Senckenberg or via your national GBIF node.

(on behalf of Tim Robertson) Are OBIS working on any data exchange with Movebank for tracking data, please?

(on behalf of Pieter Provoost) Not directly but we are receiving tracking data from OTN and ETN which I believe are exported from Movebank.

(on behalf of Ruben Perez Perez) Hi Clémence, if you are referring to where to submit the data, I think it makes the most sense to do it via EurOBIS since IFREMER is now part of EMODnet Biology, which uses the EurOBIS node to make data flow to OBIS

(On behalf of Tim Robertson) Congratulations on the h3 hexagonal indexing work - it looks impressive. I sense H3 is becoming more mainstream in the cloud GIS world - is it your impression that it is now being widely picked up in our community please? (asking as we’re wondering if GBIF should prioritise the implementation too)

(on behalf of Pieter Provoost) I wouldn’t say widely picked up but I see it being used more often (for example the upcoming new version of the Ocean InfoHub portal). And the tooling is great (for Python at least, and Elasticsearch has added support).

(on behalf of Anonymous Attendee) Hello :slight_smile: How do I link my published dataset in GBIF to the OBIS portal? (or do I need to do this?) I’ve selected OBIS as associated Network on the GBIF IPT but the occurrence data cannot be found on the OBIS portal.

(on behalf of Ward Appletans) There is still a backlog on OBIS tagged datasets from GBIF publishers, see here: Issues · iobis/obis-network-datasets · GitHub. OBIS nodes are reviewing those datasets and when we get green light, we harvest them.

(on behalf of Frank Muller-Karger, Attendee webinar #2) How do (or how can) OBIS and GBIF jointly best engage the private sector (NGO, consultants, Regional/World Development Banks, other investment companies) interested publishing data to use these interopeable data schema and databases? MBON is interested in pursuing such partnerships jointly with OBIS and GBIF.

(on behalf of David Bloom, Attendee webinar #2) I very much welcome the elevation of this GBIF/OBIS collaboration. As the lead Node for the CESP award intended to bring marine research stations and libraries into the network (CESP2022-009), one of the unexpected lessons was that there is a huge amount of data that still remain to be digitized, yet so many of the host organizations lack the staff and capacity to perform the digitization (some have only a single staff member). Is there anything in this plan to support the efforts of these institutions to convert their legacy data into digitial formats so that they can participate in these pipelines and workflows? Personally, I have a strong interest to see these data “liberated” from their paper confines.

(on behalf of Kit Lewers, Attendee webinar #2)Is there a plan to make the current work (ie partnering, joint-publishing pipelines) scalable/iterative to keep adding in more biodiversity institutions/organizations and their data (ie space agencies (NASA, ESA, etc), GEO BON, etc)?

(on behalf of Anonymous Attendee, Attendee webinar #2) Does this webinar offer an e-certificate?

(on behalf of Christy Semmens, Attendee webinar #2) Can you speak more about the plans for citation tracking for OBIS? Any timeline, likelihood? We have a large marine fish dataseet but we aren’t in a position to provide these data until there are better tools to ensure data sources are cited, not just GBIF or OBIS as the source.
We are also interseted to hear if data providers will have more reporting functions to see how often their data are downloaded and ideally who is downloading their data. As a citizen science program, this is a critical step in providing feedback to our volunteers.