Structure and responsibilities of a #digextspecimen

@abentley While I like the tree analogy as a representation of the potential linkage between the data providers, a data store, and the user community, I do think that there needs to be some additional thought given to the data interchange between the data store and the data providers. To take the tree analogy one step further, the xylem (up) and phloem (down) structure of typical tree vasculature provides a very good representation of the thought.

While it’s clear that the collection owners will contribute info about the specimens upwards to the data store, how “nutrient-rich” will the information that flows downward to the owners be? After hearing about the idea of the data store, several of my colleagues were wary of the idea - once the data is “out there”, would the collection itself still be considered relevant? I would say “yes” - IF we can attain both a reasonable structure for both attribution and annotation and owners can decide what info they want to repatriate via that downward flow.

4 Likes