This is the home page for the virtual consultation: Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Towards a global specification for data integration. GBIF, under the umbrella of the alliance for biodiversity knowledge, is leading the consultation as part of the European Commission-funded SYNTHESYS+ project.
Please bookmark this page to follow the consultation.
The consultation opened on 16th February (Tuesday) with two virtual introductory sessions. Agenda More than 250 people from over 30 countries participated.
About the consultation
The consultation process and how we got to this point - understand the origins
and how the consultation will be run
- The coordination team
- Tutorial for using GBIF Community Forum
- alliance for biodiversity knowledge
- Feedback wanted: Open discussion of the process - add your thoughts here
- Natural History Collection questions? Curious about collections, ask a question here
- Code of Conduct Report issues here
Information resources (More on individual category pages)
- Background and planning document
- Letter of Intent for Collaboration - in a Global and Open Process - on Interoperable Enriched Specimen Information Models – Signatories
- TDWG 2020. BOF01 Birds of a Feather session on Converging Digital Specimens and Extended Specimens - Towards a global specification. 22 September 2020. Recording of the session: https://youtu.be/8ljokNRkjeo. Notes document: http://bit.ly/bof01notes.
Especially the two presentations by Alex Hardisty and Andrew Bentley respectively on digital specimens and extended specimens, minutes 4 - 44 in the video.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2020. Biological Collections: Ensuring Critical Research and Education for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press..
- BCoN Report: Extending U.S. Biodiversity Collections to Promote Research and Education – Biodiversity Collections Network
- What is a Digital Specimen?. A short blog post in DiSSCo Tech.
- Data integration enables global biodiversity synthesis New publication, #CiteTheDOI
- GBIF and the Converging the Digital and Extended Specimens Concepts (15 min video)